Common Areas Where Mold Can Hide
Keep an Eye on These Spaces
Mold can spread from one area of your home to another through air movement. It can hide in the most unexpected places and grow at an alarming rate. This means that even if you clean up mold in one place, it can still grow elsewhere. If you don’t take steps to prevent air from circulating through your home, the mold will just keep spreading. You can pinpoint this problem with air quality testing.
Here are some common areas where mold can hide:
- Showers: If you’ve forgotten to clean your shower drain or properly dry out your shower after taking a shower, mold could grow there. This can also happen if you have standing water in your shower, which happens when you need to use more hot water, or if you need to use more cold water.
- Garages: Mold and moisture, so if you park your car in an enclosed garage and leave it sitting for long periods, mold will start growing on the car itself, as well as in any nooks or crannies that have accumulated moisture from rain or snow.
- Under sinks: Under the sink is one of the easiest places for mold to grow because it’s dark and humid. You may not even know that there’s extra water under there until you notice white spots on your floorboards, which could be mold spores! If this happens to you, wipe down all surfaces with a bleach solution and let them dry before using them again.
- Ceilings: Mold grows in the corners of your ceiling because they’re dark and damp. These areas attract mold spores flying through the air, allowing them to feed on them. The spores grow and produce new mold colonies, which feed on each other’s spores for years.
Some Signs That Indicate Mold Is Growing at Your Home
It’s easy to miss the signs of mold growing in your home. You might think that a little bit of black or green fuzzy stuff on your bathroom wall is just a stain. However, it could be the result of a serious problem.
- Discoloration: Mold appears as a fuzzy, black-green growth on surfaces that have been wet for several days. It may appear on walls, floors, and other building materials. This issue should be treated immediately to prevent structural damage from occurring.
- Musty Odor: The smell of mold is often described as musty or earthy and can be detected by the human nose. The musty smell mold gives off is actually the chemical that it releases when it is trying to protect itself from being damaged by water or other substances. This chemical is called mycotoxin, which can cause breathing problems and even death if inhaled in large amounts.
- Visible Stains: Water leaks can cause mold growth if they occur in areas where there is already excess moisture. They leave behind stains that are hard to remove and can lead to significant damage to your property and health.
- Indoor Air Quality Problems: If there is a musty odor in your home, it could be caused by poor indoor air quality. The presence of mold would also disrupt indoor air quality because mold produces spores that cause allergic reactions in some people.
- Sickness or allergies: If you start feeling sick or having allergic reactions after being inside for too long, check for mold. Besides causing respiratory problems like coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath, it can also cause serious health problems like fever, muscle aches, and fatigue. People with chronic lung diseases like asthma or emphysema are more vulnerable to these effects.
Our Mold Removal Process
My mold removal process is designed to get your home back to its original condition as fast as possible. I’m highly trained and work with a variety of tools to ensure your house is safe, comfortable, and mold-free. I’ll come to your house, assess the situation, and then provide a detailed plan for how I will get rid of the mold. I use a variety of tools and techniques to ensure your house is safe and comfortable again as quickly as possible.
I follow these mold cleanup steps:
- Mold inspection: I will inspect your property to determine the mold problem’s extent and identify the type of mold present. I use top-notch equipment to discover the source of the problem. I will also inspect your home to make sure that it’s not infected with other types of dangerous bacteria or viruses.
- Air quality testing: I will perform air quality tests to ensure that the air in your home is safe to breathe (and no one is getting sick).
- Removal of moldy materials: I will remove any moldy materials from your property and dispose of them in an environmentally friendly way. My cleaning products are safe for children and pets and won’t harm the environment. After finishing, I’ll seal off any cracks or crevices that could allow new spores to grow back once I leave.
- Cleaning: Mold removal is not just about removing the mold and other visible signs of its presence. Mold can grow on drywall, woodwork, carpeting, and other porous surfaces. I’ll clean all of these surfaces to ensure that there’s no remnant of mold left behind. Additionally, I’ll dispose of items that can’t be recovered safely (such as carpets) and contaminated materials (such as clothing).
- Re-inspection: I’ll perform a re-inspection on your property after completing my work. This will ensure that all traces of mold have been removed entirely from your home or business.
Connect with a Prime Mold Remediation Company
Are you dealing with mold in your home? Don’t panic. Superior Water Restoration is here to the rescue. Contact us today if you live in or near Lehi, UT. My mold remediation services come with a guarantee that your home will be safe for habitation again. I won’t rest until your home is mold-free.